Wednesday, June 17, 2009

And the next trip.....Madrid and Tenerife!






As I started out to write about my next trip I contemplated starting a brand new blog. I already have four....do I really need one more?

I started this one, "Laugh Along the Way" as a tribute to my coming of age. 50 years old. But then I started traveling.

First I went to Mauritania to visit my brother. Ruth Garvin headed back to the desert with me to see how things were coming along at the coffee shop, now transformed into a restaurant/quest house/oasis.

For two weeks Ruth and I walked alongside Paul, met his friends, met Sonsoles.

You can read all about it in the blog that I have linked above: Discovering Mauritania.

Then, in a turn of events that still has my head spinning, I spent three weeks in Papua New Guinea with a group of students and a faculty member, Rhett Luedtke from GFU.

After three amazing weeks in PNG, birthplace of my son, home of my family for two years, I visited Luke and Esther Davidson in Australia for a week. Truth be told, it's been a bit tough coming home.
The closeness that we all felt on our journey to the other side of the world is something that one never forgets and hopes to recreate for a lifetime.

Thanks to the arrows of cupid and a miraculous, providential intervention, my brother, my brother is getting married. To a lovely lady from Spain. She's from Tenerife in the Canary Islands. August 14th. We are all so excited to welcome this wonderful lady, Sonsoles, into our family. Two families from across the sea becoming one. It's a wonderful gift that we can hardly comprehend.




So that's the reason for the journey to Spain and the Canary Islands. My taste buds can hardly stand the anticipation.

1 comment:

JJ said...

Ohmygosh, you are going to love the Canary Islands! Passenger ship I took to Europe in late 70's had a stop-over there - wow!
Love,
Jlo