Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Helping with the wedding



This week Sonsoles made my day....week....year! With great enthusiasm I am helping her with the wedding favors. You know, gifts guests receive for coming to the wedding.

Her first e-mail was to inquire about the customs in the US in regards to these gifts as well as the custom of our family. As I took my mind back to the weddings I have attended in recent years I realized that it was not really a custom through out the land as much as it was a custom of the wedding adviser.

Let me make my point. The other day I was channel surfing in my bedroom and I came across the reality TV show with Denise Richards in it. I don't know the name of it but I briefly watched an interaction Denise had with a party planner she had hired to plan a party for a friend of hers. She was basically firing this planner because the planner had not planned what Denise wanted her to plan, instead she put together a party that was bigger and grander than Denise had wanted.

So now, as I reflect on what Sonsoles has asked about favors for guests, it really does depend on what the individual bride (the groom probably couldn't care less) wants for her wedding.

What is custom in Spain is that the father of the bride gives cigars to the male guests of the wedding. What? Just the men? Now this is a wedding tradition I intend to crash! :)

Apparently, according to postings on the internet, the Canary Islands have a long standing tradition of cigar making dating back to the 18th century.

But I digress - after forwarding some links with wedding favors to Sonsoles, she found some really great ones and so I ordered them. Delivery will be made by me, and I'll put them together as well. Ah......it makes me happy to help in some small way.

In order to preserve the anticipation for the guests, I won't post a picture of them here. You'll just have to attend the wedding to find out what these gifts are.

Or, you can wait till I post some pictures of the event. You'll find me sitting among the guests smoking a cigar.

No comments: